Apr 29, 2009

Love Me, Love Your Stomach

This week in my classes, I gave the assignment of creating an imaginary restaurant menu.  The students were delighted, and immediately set off to the task before them with cell-phone dictionaries in their hands and imagination in their hearts.  All I can say about the results is that I am fortunate to be in a place where almost every day something makes me laugh until I cry.  I have compiled a menu of my own, using some favorite quotes from my students' work.

Restaurant names:  Love Me, Love Your Stomach
  37 degrees

Restaurant descriptions:
37 degrees is our restaurant's name. We choose it because its human body temperature and thus we prove that we care about our guests sincerely.
Chinese sea-food restaurant. We have all kinds of sea-food.  We have witresses who are as beautiful as mermaid and waiters who are cool like pirate.

Dishes: (I don't even know what some of them meant to say.)
Scrambled spinch
Salty taste crispy trotter
Jam duck's neck
Flaby
Sweat and saul chine
Duck blood steamed chicken giblets
Yellow belly dance
One hundred kinds of flowers with dew
Mud-baked dragon tongue
Odd-odour bean curd
Hot hog bowel
Tasty baby pigeon
Fry sphenoid with block pepper
Beef chafing dish
F*** a fish head

As if this weren't enough for one day, one of Zack's students sent a note to him before class, which read:

Sir:
I have diarrhea.  It's severe.  So I hope to ask for a sick leave.  I hope you can understand me.
- Betty

Now I will leave you with a picture of a restaurant menu which speaks for itself:


No comments: